How to join the CSOAM
1. Full Member (Active or Inactive)
Active Full Members have the voting rights
(Annual membership fee: $75.00)
2. Student Member
Who are currently studying Osteopathy in one of the qualified schools. They do not have the voting rights.
(Annual membership fee: 25.00)
Please submit the following application and email them to email@example.com
- Membership Application Form (for Full Members)
- Applicants for Student membership, please contact us.
Application Procedure and Requirements
After we receive the Application form along with the required documents, we will process your application within 2-3 weeks.
Eligibility Criteria for Full Memebers (DOMP):
1. To have completed Osteopathy Program in one of the schools in Ontario or outside of Ontario which is compatible with the WHO Benchmark for Training Osteopathy (2010):
According to the WHO Benchmark, the education of Osteopathy of the applicant must follow one of the following 2 types:
A. Type I (for a person with no prior health-care training):
- The applicant has completed high school education or equivalent
- The applicant has completed at least 4200 hours of Osteopathic training, including at least 1000 hours of supervised clinical practice
B. Type II (for a person with prior training as health-care professionals):
- The applicant must demonstrate the same competencies of osteopathy as graduates of Type I programs
- The applicant has complete an Osteopathy program with 1000 hours of training or more depending on the individual’s prior training and knowledge.
2. To hold a minimum of $2,000,000 Osteopathic Liability insurance per claim
3. To hold a valid CPR and First Aid Certificate
4. To send the report of the criminal record screen with the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC) indicating no criminal findings
Benchmark for Training Osteopathy
by WHO (World Health Organization)
(CSOAM follows the Training Benchmark of WHO)
Membership Renewal and Continuing Education Criteria:
All the current CSOAM members are required the apply for the renewal of their membership no more than one month before the expiry date of their current membership.
The renewal application can be done via mail or the direct dropping off the documents at the office of the CSOAM.
For the application renewal, the following documents are required:
1. A new Application form (if any of the information of the member has been changed since the previous year)
2. A valid CPR and First Aid Certificate
3. The proof of holding a minimum of $2,000,000 Osteopathic Liability insurance per claim.
4. The proof of completing of at least 20 CE (Continuing Education) credits every 2 years*.
* Every CE credit equals 2 hours of learning in the Osteopathic-related topics. The approved Osteopathic-related topics are the subjects which are directly related to improve the knowledge of the member for the Scope of Practice of the CSOAM.
The Scope of Practice of the CSOAM:
"The practice of Osteopathy includes:
- The assessment of the whole body, soft tissue and joints.
- Adjustment of structural conditions, joint articulation, myofascial release, visceral and cranial.
- Stimulation and distribution of the fluids and free forces of the body
- Promotion of cooperation and harmony inside the body as a mechanism"
Note: If the member does not submit the proof of required number of CE credits every 2 years, is not eligible to renew for the license on the end of 2nd year cycle.
(if you are not sure if a specific course or training is accepted as a CE credit, please contact us to confirm)